Mobisol Group is a leading global player in decentralised solar electrification. Driven by market demand for off-grid solutions beyond lighting, Mobisol designs, distributes and services large solar systems, seamlessly integrated with proprietary pay-as-you-go (PAYG) software. By combining the latest high-tech solar hardware with mobile payment technologies, the Berlin based company ensures affordability through flexible payment plans. Mobisol enables rural families and businesses to power a wide range of compatible appliances, such as televisions and stereos, thereby improving people's standard of living and enabling incremental income from new solar-powered businesses. With over 750 employees, Mobisol runs its own operations in Tanzania, Kenya and Rwanda, while providing hardware and software solutions through a growing network of B2B partnerships in another nine countries worldwide.
What this job is about
The System Administrator is responsible for effective provisioning, installation and configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, software and related infrastructure at Mobisol. He or she participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- Engineering of system administration related solutions for various project/operational needs
- Installing new and rebuilding existing servers and configuring hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
- Installing and configuring Linux systems to defined specifications
- Developing and maintaining installation and configuration procedures as well as system standards
- Researching and recommending innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks to leverage resources and provide economies of scale
- Performing daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups
- Performing regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions
- Performing daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary
- Performing regular file archival and purge as necessary
- Creating, changing, and deleting user accounts per request
- Providing Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies; Investigating and troubleshooting issues
- Repairing and recovering from hardware or software failures; Coordinating and communicating with impacted constituencies
- Applying OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities; Configuring / adding new services as necessary
- Upgrading and configuring system software that supports Mobisol infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs
- Maintaining operational, configuration, or other procedures
- Performing periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning
- Performing ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required; Configuring CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required
- Maintaining data center environmental and monitoring equipment
- Bachelors in Information Technology or a related field
- CCNA / MTCNA Certification
- At least 2 years experience in a similar Systems Administration role
- Expert in Linux Systems and Server Administration (Ubuntu 16.04)
- Expert in WAN / LAN Networking / Routing / VPN and related technologies
- Familiarity with open source mail servers (Postfix / Dovecot)
- Familiarity with LDAP authenticatioin
- Familiarity with Mikrotik Routerboard OS 6
- Familiarity with Asterisk PBX / Telephony
- Familiarity with all major Operating System Clients (OSX, Windows, Linux)
- Familiarity with Server Monitoring Systems (eg: Zabbix, Nagios, Solarwinds)
- Proven team player
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Self-starter with a passion for Mobisol and its mission to plug in the world
- Willingness to travel within the region and internationally
- Fluency in English, fluency in Swahili is a plus
The position offers you the chance to build and shape a global player in the off-grid energy market with strong commitment to product quality, design, user friendliness and environmental sustainability. You will be part of an outstanding international, highly motivated team of individuals who combine professional expertise with personal passion.
How to apply
As an equal opportunity employer, Mobisol offers all of its employees and applicants full equal opportunity irrespective race, ethnic origin, sexual identity, disability, religion, or beliefs.
If you feel intrigued by this challenging opportunity, please apply by clicking the "Apply" button below.